Re: Got "unaligned access" messages executing some programs

Khalid> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 12:35 +0200, Alberto Brosich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed debian sarge ia64 on a HP i2000 workstation.  It works
>> all fine but executing some programs I find many "unaligned access"
>> messages on console.

Khalid> This is a known issue and has been fixed in an NMU. Take a
Khalid> look at
Khalid> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=258839>. You
Khalid> can safely ignore these messages. What is happening is dosfsck
Khalid> accesses a word/long word on an unaligned boundary. This
Khalid> causes kernel to trap this access and emulate the unaligned
Khalid> access. dosfsck gets the data it wants but kernel complains
Khalid> about it. If the message bothers you, you can update to
Khalid> version 2.11-2.1.

More generally, take a look at
http://gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/UnalignedAccesses

You can turn an unaligned into a SIGBUS to find the exact problem, or
just turn off the message.
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*