Re: Got "unaligned access" messages executing some programs

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 12:35 +0200, Alberto Brosich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed debian sarge ia64 on a HP i2000 workstation.
> It works all fine but executing some programs I find many
> "unaligned access" messages on console.
>
> First It was with oracle but then I got the same with
> "dosfsck"
> "bconsole" (from bacula-console package)
>
> and others.
>
> What does it means?
> How can I do some debug?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Alberto Brosich
>
> Follows a sample
>
> dosfsck(985): unaligned access to 0x60000fffffdd75ab,
> ip=0x4000000000002d50
> dosfsck(985): unaligned access to 0x60000fffffdd75b3,
> ip=0x4000000000002e50
> dosfsck(985): unaligned access to 0x60000fffffdd75b1,
> ip=0x4000000000002f51

This is a known issue and has been fixed in an NMU. Take a look at
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=258839>. You can
safely ignore these messages. What is happening is dosfsck accesses a
word/long word on an unaligned boundary. This causes kernel to trap this
access and emulate the unaligned access. dosfsck gets the data it wants
but kernel complains about it. If the message bothers you, you can
update to version 2.11-2.1.

--
Khalid Aziz
khalid@debian.org