Re: 2.6.x won't boot on PowerEdge 3250

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:53:09 -0700
Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:

: On Friday 25 March 2005 12:30 pm, Peter Hessler wrote:
: > Anyone have any ideas?
:
: Hook up a serial console to ttyS0 and boot with
: "console=uart,io,0x3f8".  That console should work
: very early and the output might give you a clue.
: ("console=uart" won't work on 2.4 kernels; it went
: into 2.6.10, IIRC.)
:

That totally failed.  Neither ELILO, nor EFI understood 'console'.  Being a
"bright" boy, I put the console line into elilo.conf, and did the `elilo &&
reboot` dance.  Yea, that just made it worse (when efi passed control to
elilo, elilo said "I don't understand console, exiting", and threw me back to
efi. Thankfully, I still had the debian boot cd, and I was able to use that as
an emergancy disk to fix it.

(15 minutes later)
Ok, I just figured out that whole 'console' thing needs to be in an append=""
line.  Zero output to the serial console.