How are ia64 packages built?

Hi all,

I've just set up a new debian (unstable) system which lives alongside gentoo/ia64 running on the same hardware. The debian system feels a lot more sluggish than the gentoo one, even though it was only built with gcc 3.3.3 and '-O2'.

So I wonder - how are debian's ia64 packages built? GCC 3.3.3? -O2? That's what I would have assumed, but it doesn't seem that way. If an old package is built with the then current compiler and no bugs are filed against it, is it ever rebuilt with a new toolchain? _Are_ packages always built with the current compiler?

	Duraid