Can't menuconfig

In working on other problems, I thought it might help
to have a more up-to-date kernel. Thus I installed the
source for 2.4.25 and after make mrproper, I tried
make menuconfig
I got an error message about ncurses and lxdialog
AFAICT, I don't have any extra ncurses laying around
and what I have was installed using apt-get, so versions
should match.
I did get configured with make config and the new kernel
appears to work fine. At least all the annoying NPTL messages
have gone away.

Richard Harke