Qt crashes

Related to a problem with Kde, I thought I would try
a minimal Qt program. The program is an example
"Hello World" program for Qt, taken from a text.
Compiles and links OK. When I run it, it seg faults
before it gets to main. From the backtrace:
in pthread_mutex_trylock ()  from /lib/libpthread.so.0
in arena_get2 ()
in malloc ()
in rwlock_add_to_list () from /lib/libpthread.so.0
in rwlock_have_already () from lib/libpthread.so.0

theres more but this was enough to convince me that
this has little to do with my toy app. This app, of course,
does not use threads

Richard Harke