Re: Suddenly no X-window

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:42:59AM -0800, Richard Harke wrote:
> The first line is:
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v1.1 20030824013022 willy@wil.cx)
> I did not get X86 from the debian archive but downloaded this version as
> a deb package from another web site.

That looks like one I built ;-).  I would recommend upgrading to something
a little more recent and official; I'm running 4.3.0-7 myself, though
I haven't restarted the X server since I upgraded this box.

> In /var/log/boot is the line
> Starting portmap daemon: portmap/sbin/portmap: relocation error:
>    /sbin/portmap: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.2 not defined in
>    file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference
>
> In /lib I have libc.so.6.1 as a soft link to libc-2.3.2.so

What does dpkg --status libc6.1 |grep ^Version say?  I have 2.3.2.ds1-11

> I have tried to update portmap but apt-get keeps complaining
> about unmet dependecies
>    kdelibs4: Depends: xbase-client but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution)
>
> I have tried that and doesn't change anything.

Are you sure it doesn't say "xbase-clients"?  What version does "apt-cache show kdelibs4" say?  I see 4:3.2.1-1 here which depends on xbase-clients.

Have you tried "apt-get update" recently?