Re: Suddenly no X-window

The portmapper is not running so I can't get my usual NFS
mount. This will make it rather tedious to get XFree86.0.log
over to my mail machine.
The first line is:
XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0pre1v1.1 20030824013022 willy@wil.cx)
I did not get X86 from the debian archive but downloaded this version as
a deb package from another web site.

In /var/log/boot is the line
Starting portmap daemon: portmap/sbin/portmap: relocation error:
   /sbin/portmap: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.2 not defined in
   file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference

In /lib I have libc.so.6.1 as a soft link to libc-2.3.2.so

I have tried to update portmap but apt-get keeps complaining
about unmet dependecies
   kdelibs4: Depends: xbase-client but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution)

I have tried that and doesn't change anything.

Richard