Choppy MP3 and DVD playbacks

Hi,

I'm running Sarge (updated daily) on a hp workstation i2000 with
the K Desktop Environment. I've noticed that MP3 and DVD playbacks
are really choppy with the KDE multimedia applications (don't know
for the GNOME applcations). For the DVD playback, DMA is enabled
however. In fact, I think DVD playback is choppy because the soundtrack
gets out of sync.

Can anybody confirm or infirm this? Is this problem specific to the
IA-64 architecture? Or to KDE? Or both? Or anything else?

Thank you and have a nice day.