Re: Sarge: GNOME broken, @gprel relocation errors and still the NVIDIA problem

> > Any hints to workaround some of these problems? Should I upgrade
> > to unstable?
> What I did is put /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1 in the file /etc/ld.so.preload
> This forces libGL to load first. I think the critical point is that it must
> load before libc. I believe there is a bug in the loader. These two lib's
> are the only ones that have tls sections. libGL has a tls section that
> reserves some space but does not load any data from the file. I suspect
> that when this is processed after libc has loaded, the tls part gets
> corrupted.
> You might try first to set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1
> Putting the lib name in ld.so.preload has a hidden danger,
> if the file libGL gets removed, nothing (almost) will run. You need
> to have the Nvidia libs installed first and if you want to remove them
> OR re-install Nvidia, you need to remove ld.so.preload
> Please try this and lets us know how it works. If this works for
> two people, maybe someone can investigate the loader.

THANK YOU Richard!

Since I don't know in which file define and export the LD_PRELOAD
environment variable, I've rather created a /etc/ld.so.preload file (I
didn't have one on my system) and added the /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1
line. No, the 3D hardware acceleration runs fine. I'm currently using
kernel-2.4.26-1-itanium-smp, and the NVIDIA kernel 54.37 rev.2 from hp
were built against kernel-headers-2.4.26-1-itanium-smp. If I get free
time, I'll try a 2.6.x kernel with the required patch to make the NVIDIA
kernel compile.