Re: Sarge: GNOME broken, @gprel relocation errors and still the NVIDIA problem

On Sunday 01 August 2004 08:32 am, Emeric Maschino wrote:

(snip)
> KDE starts up without a problem. Great! Now trying to install the
> latest NVIDIA kernel. After apt-getting the required kernel-headers,
> the NVIDIA kernel recompiled and installed flawlessly. Ouch! Now
> KDE badly crashes. It seems that I'm not as lucky as Richard in my
> attempt to have a working 3D accelerated KDE environment. Just to
> check, I started a GNOME session again to see if the problem is limited
> to KDE or not. Unfortunately, no! Same problem with GNOME: crash
> without more information in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

(snip)
> To resume, I have a completely unusable fresh Sarge installation.
> Except for the Intel compilers, all my packages come from Debian
> Sarge repository. My kernel is kernel-image-2.4.26-1-itanium-smp
> (I've tried kernel-image-2.4.25-itanium-smp too but not a 2.6.x kernel
> image since the NVIDIA drivers are not compatible with), libc6.1
> is version 2.3.2.dsl-0.13, XFree86 is 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4 and gcc is 3.
> 3.4-3.
>
> Any hints to workaround some of these problems? Should I upgrade
> to unstable?
What I did is put /usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1 in the file /etc/ld.so.preload
This forces libGL to load first. I think the critical point is that it must
load before libc. I believe there is a bug in the loader. These two lib's
are the only ones that have tls sections. libGL has a tls section that
reserves some space but does not load any data from the file. I suspect
that when this is processed after libc has loaded, the tls part gets
corrupted.
You might try first to set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/tls/libGL.so.1
Putting the lib name in ld.so.preload has a hidden danger,
if the file libGL gets removed, nothing (almost) will run. You need
to have the Nvidia libs installed first and if you want to remove them
OR re-install Nvidia, you need to remove ld.so.preload
Please try this and lets us know how it works. If this works for
two people, maybe someone can investigate the loader.

Richard Harke