Re: X11 and Elf_RelocateEntry()

On Monday 18 August 2003 10:08 am, David Mosberger wrote:

>   Richard> Based on the preceeding email, I decided to download
>   Richard> XFree86 4.3.0 and go with that. Same problem.
>
> Is there a reason you can't use the "stable" version of
> xserver-xfree86?  Last time I tried, that worked fine (on top of an
> "unstable" system).  Alternatively, I was told that the "experimental"
> branch has an XFree86 that works with gcc-3.x.  But that's probably
> more tricky to get working, since the xserver will presumably pull in
> the latest glibc etc.
>
> 	--david
I recompiled Xfree86 4.3.0 using gcc-2.96 and almost had it
working. It started and ran KDE just fine. Unfortunatly, it crashed
badly when the Xserver was shut down. I then moved back to
kernel 2.4.19. I had to rebuild because there were two images
installed, one in the boot partition and one in the source tree.
But neither seemed to match the config. However this build went
smoothly and I was rewarded with a working X. I used the nvidia
version 4431 which you refered me to on the HP web site.
I think the critical element was using gcc-2.96 to compile.
kernel 2.4.20 is set up to use gcc-3.2 Also, gcc was defaulted
via a soft link to gcc-3.3 so I had to change that.

My problem now is that whenever I go to get other software,
the package management system sees the dependency
violations and tries to correct them. Since I'm not sure how
the tarball from Xfree86.org maps to debian packages, I have a
great deal of trouble managing any install.

I suppose there are two alternatives. One is to move back to
the latest Xfree86 that was compiled with gcc-2.96, which is
presumably the one in stable.

Another would seem to be to make a local debian package for
Xfree86 4.3.0 so that can plug the dependency hole.

I'm not sure how to accomplish either.

Athird alternative just occured, try to get the source to
Xfree86 4.2.1 as a debian package, if such exists. Then build
and install.

Any suggestions?

Richard