[Fwd: [Sablevm-developer] Inline-threading on ia64 works!]

Hi!

So the faster, inlined-threading engine works now on ia64 after
adding mprotect call (see attached mail). All the change was extra
~20 lines (comments, empty lines, #ifdefs and error handling including).

An upload of SableVM version with this patch will be done shortly.
It should work avg. 2-3 times faster now (depending on the app from no
gain to 10 times faster :-)

I wanted to thank all of you for your support and especially
Bdale Garbee for providing great access to ia64 machine in UP mode.

The only thing that worries me now is how it will behave on SMP
systems. If the new version were segfaulting or if there were some
other serious problems caused by the usage of the inlined engine on SMP
systems (while running some more advanced apps than HelloWorld ;-).
*IF* it were so - I think it'd be mandated to get back to currently
used, slower engine.

Keep in mind that it's just a pure speculation currently as I don't
have any such expieriences yet.

But when you get your hands on newly uploaded SableVM - I'd like
to hear from you whether that works for you (and your apps) or not.
[jikes 1.15 still needed though]

Best regards

					Grzegorz B. Prokopski

PS: Bdale: if you're not in a big hurry with this ia64 machine - I'd
like to keep the access for a while (few days). When I am sure that
everything actually works - I'll clean up after myself and mail you.
Thank you for all your support.

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian http://www.debian.org/

So, the problem was that, by default, malloc()ed memory does not have
execution permission.  (Grzegorz: I guess the same applies to Sparc).
The solution is a very few lines of code in prepare_code.c.  (Search
for __ia64__).

Have fun!

Etienne

--