Re: Simple Question: which Kernel I should use

Rühaak, Wolfram wrote:
Hi,
like mentioned in the subject here is my question:
my institute has an Itanium I system with 2 CPU and 16GB RAM.
Last week I have installed the debian 3.0 r1 release for ia64.
The Kernel I use is: [...]

Sorry for jumping in here having a maybe totally unrelated
question (I'm some sort of clueless regarding IA64 details).

O.k., getting a suitable kernel for a HP i2000 type machine
for example doesn't seem to be a real problem (just in case
I'm not the only one following some ebay offerings ;-).

As of BIOS/firmware revisions: There's at least some info
at http://www.debian.org/ports/ia64/.

But where I become scared is the topic about "CPU revisions"
or "steppings". What CPU stepping is necessary (Itanium I,
for now), to use kernels shipped with 3.0 r1 or even more
recent, let alone other software ...

Any hint appreciated (and sorry for *not* having read a
maybe existing FAQ),

Stefan Schroepfer