Re: tried ia64-net-20020506.iso, (rx4610) failed with map_single IO TLB kernel panic...

>   Richard> type 'elilo' and hit return.  It should show an 'ELILO'
>   Richard> prompt for a couple of seconds before loading the kernel.
>   Richard> In that couple of seconds you need to hit spacebar.  You
>   Richard> should now get an 'ELILO:' prompt where you can type
>   Richard> things.  Type "linux swiotlb=32768" and hit return.
>
> Do you know why the swiotlb option is needed?  The rx4610 comes with a
> qlogic SCSI controller which can do 64-bit DMA.  Thus, it shouldn't
> run out of (software) I/O TLB buffers.

I had the same swiotlb problem. The computer (SGI 750) hung (kernel panic) after
network card initialization (ifconfig). The card (on-board) is Intel Pro/100 (or
equivalent).

By the way, I belive that one can directly enter "elilo linux swiotlb=32768"
instead of waiting for ELILO prompt and hitting spacebar etc.

Regards,

Jiri Polach