initial install of woody ia64-net-20020506.iso successful but dpkg has no record of kernel-image

dpkg -S /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-mckinley-smp
dpkg: /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-mckinley-smp not found.

I see there is a 2.4.17 source labeled ia64. I have downloaded that
and it appears to compile as I need to apply a local patch to the kernel.

So just to clarify: upon initially installing
debian woody I get files in /boot/ but these are not apparently part
of the dpkg database? I suppose it won't really matter since it works
but it strikes me as a bug?

-walter