Re: Size of binaries

  Matthew> Hmm.. I didn't log the build (doh!) but looking in
  Matthew> config.status: s%@CFLAGS@%-g -O2%g

In the past, gcc used "conservative" flag settings for building the
first stage compiler, but this has tripped up enough people (including
myself) that there was some talk about changing this.  I'm not sure,
however, whether this change really has happened.

In any case: my comment was not meant to take away from your call to
switch to 3.1 asap.  In fact, I'm *strongly* in favor for debian/ia64
to switch soon.  There are serious problems with the unwind info that
2.9x and 3.0x generate and as long as there are libraries compiled
with these old compilers, there is always a potential for problems
(e.g., during c++ or java exception handling, as well as during
debugging).

	--david