Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:50:32 -0700
From: Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: [ia64] libGLcore module does not load properly

Package: xserver-xfree86
Version: 4.1.0-2
Severity: important

GLX does not work by default on IA64. When starting X, the following
appears in the log:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
No symbols found in this module
Failed to load debug_xform.o

Upon further investigation, it appears that debug_xform.o is an empty
object -- since debugging is not enabled in the build the object is
completely empty. This causes the loader to choke (elfloader.c)

Interestingly, on i386 and sparc for example, if I do:
touch foo.c; gcc -c foo.c; nm foo.o

I get an object with one symbol in it (gcc2_compiled)

On Alpha and IA64 the same commands yield an object without any symbols.

Not sure if this is relevant or not.

Manually removing the debug_xform.o object from the archive allows the
libGLcore.a module to be loaded correctly.

It'll be interesting to see if GLX works on Alpha or not; from a cursory
test it appears GLX is broken on Alpha as well.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/