Re: advice on po/pot/po4a layout etc. [and 1 more messages] [and 1 more messages]

Hello Ian,
On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:10:37AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Helge Kreutzmann writes ("Re: advice on po/pot/po4a layout etc. [and 1 more messages]"):
> > > I will add something to the README about committing the translation
> > > and using salsa to send a MR.
> >
> > That would be verfy helpful.
>
> I have created the group and project and repo on salsa and added
> some README stuff.  I hope this is roughtly what you meant:
>   https://salsa.debian.org/dgit-team/dgit
>   https://salsa.debian.org/dgit-team/dgit/tree/master/po

From my translators POV this looks very nice, so I would know where to
start.

> I guess I shouldn't send a CFT (Call For Translation) just yet because
> my freeze date is a way off.  dgit is at the top of its pile, rather
> than at the bottom, so changes can be made quite late.  8.0 (just
> uploaded) has nontrivial changes and depending on my CFT (Copious Free
> Time (-:) I may yet do more significant work on it.

This is a tricky question. Translators are as developers - little time
and lots to do. And many teams have the review step, i.e. a second
translator comments and improves the translation of the first. Again,
time consuming. And as you set »--previous«, slightly outdated
translations are not lost and responsive translators might quickly
adapt many tuned strings.

Unless you intend a huge rework of strings (e.g. changing the style or
markup or tone or something) I would use podebconf-report-po(1) (yes,
this can be used for any type of po files) rather sooner than later,
so interested teams get started and you could get some translations before
the (hard) freeze. Just be polite and inform translators that strings
still might change, so teams can set priorities.

I'm currently involved in two larger translation sets for DE, so I
don't know (yet) if I have time to work on it for DE, but maybe
another translator kicks in.

Greetings

       Helge