Re: advice on po/pot/po4a layout etc.

Ian Jackson wrote:

[just answering one of your questions]

6. Committing the .pot file
You can't expect translators to be ready to run any commands (or even to have the required tools installed) to generate the .pot file(s).

But it is still (in my opinion) a bad idea to commit the .pot file. You should rather include it with other build output, and make sure it is archived in an easy-to-find location for your translators, so they don't have to figure out how to build the program (or just the .pot file) before they can start translating.
Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
 but that is not the reason we are doing it"