Re: Translations of FreeDict package descriptions

Hi Sebastian!

>>     Hello,
>
>> the package descriptions of all FreeDict dictionary databases (~80) are
>>     auto-generated. Therefore I would like to implement the same for the
>> translations: we just need a template for the language and could fill in our
>>     data.
>
>>     On [1] however, I just saw the possibility to get n (random) package
>> descriptions via e-mail, but I want to select which packages I translate.
>>     Can I somehow translate requested packages?
>
> As pointed out by Beatrice, you can specify the packages you want. However,
> you don't actually need to download the descriptions first. If you send
> emails with the right format they will be accepted.
>
> Basically you send an email with the original package description and the
> translation. If you've fetched something via the email interface, that's the
> format you should use. Or use this as a template:
>
> http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=218830&getuntrans=de

You can also wget the the descriptions.

> (If you do this, please use "Description-<lang>.UTF-8:" as a header to avoid
> encoding issues).

The header comes before the translated short description. To illustrate this,
I attached a real-life example that made it through the mail interface. The
mail interface is alive.

> In any case, if you find templates and use them to make a list of
> translations, there are tools to get them into the database directly. So
> focus on that part and post the result here for review. Once you get buy in
> we can get them into the database.

It's great that you want to contribute to DDTP. It would be even greater to
coordinate with the two folks that do most of the German translations. Reviews
are very beneficial for the overall quality of the translations.

I see your point. There are lots of routine descriptions out there, e.g.
kernel-related ones. They should not be a burden for the day to day work.

Thank you to Beatrice, Martijn for the thread.

Martin