Re: D-I localization : the game resumed...

Hello,
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 06:37:48PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Andrei POPESCU (andreimpopescu@gmail.com):
> > On Ma, 21 mai 13, 07:21:24, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > >
> > > As usual, when it comes at D-I, I encourage you to update translations
> > > *as soon as possible* for your languages, directly in D-I SVN (that
> > > part of D-I is still kept in an SVN repository).
> >
> > Any plans to move it to git?

I thought about that, too.

> Besides not having time for that and even more not having time for
> teaching translators the new processes?

Yes, this is ineed an stumbling block. (Though sooner or later
translators will need to learn the git basics, like I did; most of
"my" translation projects are now managed in git)

> Honestly, I don't really see the benefit for something that basically
> no reason to undergo some complicated branching and stuff.

Well, branching and things like that are indeed not necessary; but
having nice offline capabilities indeed is. I tend to travel (long
distance, that is) a few times a year; having a git checkout is much
nicer than having a SVN checkout in this case; but again, I'm not the
German translator.

> If it isn't broken, why fix it?

(Probably not for d-i, yet, but in general: Because sometimes there
is indeed a better way doing things even though the old way still
works).

> And that's no longer "bubulle is resisting new technology" thing. Most
> of my packages are now managed with git and I really see the benefit
> of it.

That is the main point. If for you, and you do most of the
coordination work, there is no benefit, then leave it as it is. But
maybe at some future time things might change, translators might
ask for it or might no longer care, who knows.

Greetings

         Helge