Re: Tajik Language - Adding support for a new language

Dňa 01.08.2013 14:30 Christian PERRIER  wrote / napísal(a):
> Quoting Victor Ibragimov (victor.ibragimov@gmail.com):
>
>> But how about Gnome and KDE? Recently, we did a great job for Gnome
>> https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/tg/gnome-3-10/ui/, but I still see
>> incomplete translations of those 100% files on Debian pages
>> http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/tg  )))). How often PO files
>> from the upstream are updated for Debian? Should I update those files
>> manually or it is done automatically at a certain time?
>
> It depends on several factors:
> 1) first of all, what is done in Launchpad has to go upstream
> 2) then, once upstream incorporates the translation in a new release,
> that new upstream release has to be packaged for Debian (and indeed
> Ubuntu as well).
>
> Step 1) is something I don't really know how it's working and if even
> someone in the Canonical/Ubuntu/Launchpad world guarantuees it really
> happens.
>
> If it does, fine. If it doesn't, then work is partly lost.

Some projects are using Launchpad translations as their upstream
translation engine - LTSP's ldm for example. Or more exactly, some
upstreams are hosted on Launchpad.

But i agree - translating in downstream is useless and time wasting.

The launchpad, for example, has another problem - it lost information
about last translator, then no info about new release/translation
updates can be created (from the LTSP maintainers) - i sometime take
notification via IRC :-)

regards

--
Slavko