Re: Some feedback about OmegaT

Hi,

Dňa 02.07.2013 19:02 Camaleón  wrote / napísal(a):

> a) Offline tool
> b) Little to none dependencies (almost self-contained
> program)
> c) No need for advanced options, just spell-check and formatting/tag
> validation.

Yesterday and today i was on Slovak open-source conference
(http://ossconf.soit.sk), where i was small presentation about Debian's
translations, with getting the new translators as the target.

After official part i meet with three another translators (from other
teams), where the translation tools was discussed and criticised too. We
all was agreed and surprised, that the support for gettext translation
GUI tools is limited:

- POEdit - without spell checker
- Gtranslator - has problems translation memory strings encoding (for me)
- KBabel replacement (i forgot the name), was unfinished when i was
trying it and nobody from us used it now, then today status is unknown
- OmegaT - described by you

Using the text editor is problematic. For example, the mentioned emacs i
never used, the vi is out of my conformity. Using another editors
(without PO support) is problematic, the spellchecker marks English
strings and keywords as the typo, then confuses me. In text editors are
not gettext's format tests, suggestions are missing, etc...

Actually we all are combining more than one tool, to achieve some
acceptable results. In my case i am using: Gtranslator +
TranslationToolkit + gettext cmdline tools + custom BASH workflow
helpers (I am the XFCE Gnome user)

I know that there are not a developers of these tools, but without
appropriate tool is work and getting the new people terrible. Then i
hope, that someone can suggest me something, what i (alongs with others)
don't found yet. And this tool will make us happy ;-)

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk