Re: pybit 0.4.0-1: template review

Neil Williams wrote:
> OK - the initial templates were a bit rushed.
>
> Sending on to l10n-english with templates.pot re-attached.

I was bored, so I got started on reviewing it before the template
files turned up!  But no patch yet...

[...]
> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:1001
> msgid "Specify pybit client id string:"
> msgstr ""

"PyBit client-ID string:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:1001
> msgid ""
> "Each client needs to have a unique string to identify itself within the job "
> "list and queues."
> msgstr ""

"Please specify a unique string that can be used to identify this
client within the job list and queues."

> #. Type: boolean
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:2001
> msgid "Use lvm snapshots on this client?"
> msgstr ""

s/lvm/LVM/

> #. Type: boolean
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:2001
> msgid ""
> "If your sbuild configuration uses lvm-snapshots, pybit-client can ensure "
> "that your snapshot apt cache data remains updated whilst keeping the "
> "snapshot clean."
> msgstr ""

Is that a package called lvm-snapshots or a mechanism called LVM
snapshots?  I'm guessing the latter.  Likewise, when it isn't the name
of the executable "apt-cache", it's "the APT cache data".

(Wait, what does it mean to say that something "remains updated"?
That sounds like some sort of oxymoron.)

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:3001
> msgid "Specify the buildd location:"
> msgstr ""

Plain "Buildd location:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:3001
> msgid ""
> "Please enter a writeable directory where the version control handler and the "
> "upload task can write files."
> msgstr ""

I tend to try to avoid saying "enter a directory"; fortunately we've
got a spare "specify" that we can re-house here.  But besides the
s/enter/specify/ nitpick, okay.

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:3001
> msgid "If this is empty, the default /home/buildd/pybit will be used."
> msgstr ""

Er, oh, still 3001.  If this directory is empty?  s/empty/left blank/

And I've got a vague itch to add commas, but this time I'll just use
the ointment.

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:4001 ../pybit-web.templates:1001
> msgid "Specify the host machine running RabbitMQ:"
> msgstr ""

Again: "Host machine running RabbitMQ:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:4001
> msgid ""
> "Each buildd client needs to communicate with a single server running "
> "rabbitMQ from which it receives the details of the jobs which the client "
> "needs to attempt to build."
> msgstr ""

Again needs to re-house the verbose instructions.

"Please specify the server running RabbitMQ that this buildd client
will communicate with, receiving details of the jobs which the client
needs to attempt to build."

Or is that getting too contorted?

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:5001
> msgid "Specify the dput destination for packages to be uploaded:"
> msgstr ""

Isn't there a missing "to"?  Or to avoid opening any grammar-taboo
wormcans, "Destination for dput package uploads:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:5001
> msgid ""
> "Each client has a dput config for a specific upload machine, specify that "
> "config name here."
> msgstr ""

Again needs to re-house the verbose instructions, but, er, what does
it mean by "config name"?  Is this a filename?  That doesn't seem to
match the short description.  Maybe:

"Please specify the machine that this client will use as upload
host. This destination will be stored in its dput configuration."

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:5001
> msgid "This entry must not be empty."
> msgstr ""
>
> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:6001
> msgid "Client id string cannot be empty!"
> msgstr ""

Isn't this Type: error?

Again I'd prefer "client-ID" (you only get ids in Freudian
psychoanalysis).

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:6001
> msgid ""
> "Any client with an empty clientid (or a clientid which matches an existing "
> "clientid) will fail to start."
> msgstr ""

Presumably "clientid" is what it's called in the code, but for human
consumption please stick to "client-ID".

You could shorten this to something like "missing (or non-unique)
client-ID", couldn't you?

And if the error is likely to occur in cases where the string isn't
empty, maybe the headline should be something more like "Bad client-ID
string"?

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:7001 ../pybit-web.templates:4001
> msgid "RabbitMQ host is empty!"
> msgstr ""

It's a string failing to name a host, not an empty host.  I'm not sure
what it ought to say; maybe "Missing RabbitMQ hostname"?

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:7001
> msgid ""
> "Any client with a missing rabbitmq host will not receive any messages from "
> "the queue and will not build any packages."
> msgstr ""

It's not a missing host, either - it's only its name that's missing!
And it would make more sense to focus on this specific client rather
than talking about "any client" - something like:

"This client will not receive any messages from the queue and will
not build any packages until a RabbitMQ host is specified."

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:7001
> msgid "Please edit /etc/pybit/client/client.conf after configuration."
> msgstr ""

(I need to configure pybit after configuration?  How and why?)

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:8001
> msgid "dput destination cannot be empty!"
> msgstr ""

"Missing dput destination"

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-client.templates:8001
> msgid ""
> "pybit-client is not intended to upload to unspecified dput destinations like "
> "ftp-master.debian.org and does not currently support GnuPG signed uploads."
> msgstr ""

Sorry, I don't understand this.  ftp-master.debian.org is an
unspecified destination?

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:1001

(So a new templates file)

> msgid ""
> "The web frontend and the pybit controller need to communicate with a single "
> "server running rabbitMQ to which it sends the details of the  jobs to be "
> "built."
> msgstr ""

Er, so what's the question?  And what's "it"?

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:2001
> msgid "Specify the fully qualified hostname for the web frontend:"
> msgstr ""

I'm replacing "frontend" with "front-end" throughout; developers may
be accustomed to the all-one-word version, but dictionaries still say
it's "front end".

"Fully qualified hostname for the web front-end:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:2001
> msgid "The pybit controller and the web frontend run on the same machine."
> msgstr ""

"Please specify the host running the web front-end (which will also be
running the pyBit controller)."

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:2001
> msgid ""
> "You may choose to use a named apache virtual host or accept the default if "
> "all your pybit clients also run on this one machine."
> msgstr ""

This would be easier to decipher if I knew what the default was, but
probably this only needs uppercase in "Apache" and "pyBit".

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:2001
> msgid ""
> "The hostname is passed down to the build clients to allow clients to post "
> "failure messages back to the controller."
> msgstr ""

No complaints here!

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:3001
> msgid "Specify the port on which the web frontend should be available:"
> msgstr ""

"Port for web front-end:"

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:3001
> msgid "For a localhost installation, it is probably easiest to use 8080."
> msgstr ""

"Please specify the port that the web front-end should be available
on.  If it is serving localhost, it is probably easiest to use 8080."

> #. Type: string
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:3001
> msgid ""
> "If the web frontend is running on a dedicated host or an apache virtual "
> "host, it may be preferable to use port 80."
> msgstr ""

Just s/frontend/front-end/, s/apache/Apache/.

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:4001
> msgid ""
> "If the controller has a missing rabbitmq host, none of the build clients "
> "will receive any messages on the queue and will not build any packages."
> msgstr ""

"None will do A and will not do B"?

"If no RabbitMQ host is specified for the pyBit controller, the build
clients will not receive any messages on the queue or build any
packages."

> #. Type: note
> #. Description
> #: ../pybit-web.templates:4001
> msgid "Please edit /etc/pybit/web/web.conf after configuration."
> msgstr ""

(Again: I need to configure pybit after configuration?  How and why?)

Oh, and just before I hit send the templates arrive...