Re: Again about anonymous contributions to DDT*

On 12/08/2011 14:49, Christian PERRIER wrote:
Quoting Michael Bramer (m.bramer):

I want to hear about other reasons and I want us to work on them.

for example:
* a lot of people have a lot of password, it is not simple to remember all. There are people that can access internet form different PC and if they don't remember DDTSS password they cannot contribute; * if someone make sporadic contributions to DDTSS (10-20 for year) I don't think he would like to have a login/password (they will never remember!). I think that all contributors can be very important, for example if that person is an expert of a sector can correct and tell you how to translate some "obscure" (for you) word/sentence; * to make automatics work, for example the Italian team highly use anonymous to fetch packages.

*No
single i18n project* allows anonymous contributors to work with
translations. Just check LibreOffice, GNOME, KDe et al.

So DDTSS can offer a better service! :-)

What is the problem, with a contribution as IP-user?

You can't mail the user. You can't make suggestions to them. You can't
interact with those active contributors. In short, you're losing energy.

I don't think this is a real problem:
* if the anonymous take care of his translated packages, he will look also the review (normally I see this type of conduct);
* else others translator can correct translations...

In any case we have always try to contact anonymous with the DDTSS message system, sending the message to they IP and normally this type of communication work (it the anonymous don't have a variable IP).

The few contributions I've seen for French translations, coming from
IP addresses, were often crap.

for Italian this is not true.
Someone use the anonymous to examine DDTSS, they can make errors, but others can correct they very easily. Someone use the anonymous to recall a wrong-bad translation and propose a correction, or they are sporadic translation. I think all they work can be very useful.

OTOH, when I work on some files translated by someone really
identified, I often know by advance what to look about. In clear,
there are some contributors from the French team, where I will mùake
very careful reviews because I know they're often doing spelling
errors, or using jargon we don't want, etc. There are others where I
will be much less picky because I know they follow our guidelines.

we have had also this type of problems (and probably we had (?)), but I think they came all from the e-mail translation features, where one single person can propose and commit a translation without review.

Ciao
Davide

--
Dizionari: http://linguistico.sourceforge.net/wiki
Esci dall'illegalità: utilizza OpenOffice.org: