I18n data from browsable source archive (Was: Lintian as a static analysis framework)

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 06:24:57PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I don't know the current (internal) APIs you mention, but I feel like
> sharing a use case that might benefit from the framework refactoring you
> propose. It's a use case I've encountered while setting up two things at
> once (none of which is finished yet...):
>
> - the reborn of a sources.debian.org service (sort of browsable /
>   highlighted/ searchable Debian sources at your fingertips on the web)
>
> - Coccinelle [1] runs on the whole of Debian sources, meant to be
>   integrated with DACA [2]
>
> [1] http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/
> [2] http://qa.debian.org/daca/
>
> To achieve the above two goals, I need to keep in sync a Debian (source)
> mirror with a place where I've all sources unpacked in versioned
> directories. Additions/removals to the mirror should be reflected to the
> unpacked source storage. I'd also like to be flexible in adding/removing
> suites and archive areas to the source mirror, as well as be easily able
> to re-extract everything from source. So much for the extraction part.

I plan to move the i18n data gathered by a script written by i18n team
(source should be available somewhere) into UDD.  The data are containing
information what language translation files a source is containing and
thus enables to guess in what languages an application might be translated
into.

When doing so I noticed that the script seems not to regard other
translation methods than gettext (no Java translations or Qt's *.qm
files).  When reading that there might be an easy way to access the
source code it might become quite cheap to enhance / rewrite the
gathering script.  What do you think?

> FWIW, I believe many other wannabe entrants in DACA would benefit from
> the addressing of similar use cases.

Would you consider such i18n analysis as one such thing?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de