Re: Proposal to change l10n system (WAS: DDTSS is down)

Quoting Eric Spreen (erispre@gmail.com):

> Therefore, I would like to propose to create a centralized system for
> all translation projects that takes away the pain of all the backend
> submission systems.

i18n.debian.net is an attempt for this..:-)

For instance, there is something running for months, even years, that
imports debconf translations into Pootle. This has an SVN repo as
backend and works fairly well. I could announce it and have you folks
work in this instead of grabbing POT files or outdated PO files and
send tons of bug reports, etc.

However, I have no idea how to allow
package maintainers to get this material back in their
packages. Therecould be some helpers or hooks for this...but that
needs discussion, development, testing, etc. Things I've not been able
to deal with as of now (hint: development is out of my skills).

We even made attempts to handle package descriptions with PO files and
put Pootle over all this. Here, one of the problems is the
considerable size of data which always bringed Pootle to its
knees. This could be solvedwith most recent versions of Pootle....if
only we could find some time to put them on i18n.d.n

As you see, ideas are not missing, however:
- development of Debian is very distributed and it is not that easy to
interact with material that's spread all over various VCS, individual
maintainer systems, derivatives systems (Rosetta...), etc.
- the amount of data to deal with is huge (think about package
descriptions and their translations)
- the number of ppl working on this has always been limited and
several of these people are turning their attention elsewhere or are
stuck with RL