Re: Debian menu entry translations for squeeze

Quoting Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr):

> > 1) Everyday, all the menu files are extracted from all the packages in sid
> > and a POT file is build and stored in the GIT repository
> > <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menu-messages/.git>
> > The POT file is available at
> > <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menu-messages/menu-messages.pot>
>
> Done.

We could hook up Pootle on this to make translators' life easier. If
putting a big effort on this makes sense (see below).

> I have made the package, I at least one translation before uploading it.
> The skeleton is available at
> svn://svn.debian.org/svn/menu/trunk/menu-l10n

How many strings does it contain?

> Now the only question is whether you are willing to translate that.

As I already mentioned in the past, that's probably one of the major
questions. Nowadays, the Debian menu is somehow conflicting with the
FreeDesktop menu system used in major desktop environments. Of course,
I know it does not really *conflict* but, when present, it appears as
an extra menu, which may be confusing.

I know about arguments to keep the Debian menu alive (IIRC, mostly
because the FreeDesktop menu does not exist for all window managers),
but that leaves the question opened about work priority. Translating
the Debian menu will be a big work and the direct benefit in
environments used by real end users is questionable.

OTOH, and unless I'm mistaken, the Debian menu entries (debian/*.menu) and
FreeDesktop menu entries (debian/*.desktop) often share their
strings. So, having one translated is probably helping to have the
other one translated.