Re: Debian menu entry translations for squeeze

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:57:51PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear I18N people,
>
> I plan to have the Debian menu finally fully translated in squeeze.

I would like to give a status update.

> This would work that way:
>
> 1) Everyday, all the menu files are extracted from all the packages in sid
> and a POT file is build and stored in the GIT repository
> <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menu-messages/.git>
> The POT file is available at
> <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu/menu-messages/menu-messages.pot>

Done.

> 2) A developer would maintain a new source Debian package,
> menu-l10n which would contains this POT file and all the translations,
> and the resulting MO file would be installed in the usual locations.

I have made the package, I at least one translation before uploading it.
The skeleton is available at
svn://svn.debian.org/svn/menu/trunk/menu-l10n

> 3) menu and menu-xdg will be changed automatically use menu-messages.mo if
> available.

Done.

Now the only question is whether you are willing to translate that.
The issue is that much entries cannot be translated (e.g. "Emacs").
Maybe if we filtered out such entries, this would be easier.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.