Re: Best practices for i18n manpages with po4a?

Hello Simon,
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:01:09PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 06:13:31PM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:06:08PM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> [..]
> > > IMO, the first step would be using a po4a.conf, in which you can use
> > > $lang and substitute it with the languages defined in po4a_langs.
> > >
> > > You can find more details in the po4a man, or good examples in apt,
> > > manpages-fr.
> >
> > Well I couldn't find anything in the man pages for po4a (except the
> > existence of po4a.conf).
> >
> > I pulled the latest version, and yes, a "hidden" man file is present
> > in section 5 (po4a-build.conf) seems to tell what I need to know.
>
> Actually it's available since a long time in man 1 po4a
> section "CONFIGURATION FILE SYNTAX" at the beginning of the manpage.

Well, this is also well hidden. From casual (brief) reading I cannot
really see how this configuration file helps (I have an idea, but
given the text its hard to see). I was looking for something like:
If you want to manage multiple translations (e.g. in a spec file or
deiban/rules) it is not sensible to issue the individual calls to
po4a-translate ... but rather you should set up the following: ... For
details about the above please refer to their individual man pages.

I am not saying the documentation is bad (I haven't even read this
part even seriously), but I grepped through po4a(1) and po4a(7) for a
best practice or a debian/rules snippet (and similar keywords) and
this text did not turn up. From reading the headline I would have
assumed that this is for a defaults file, not for building.

Anyhow I'll do the reading in the next days and especially looking at
the examples given by you and then the next upload will (hopefully)
contain a version available for the next one searching for examples
:-))

> While po4a-build is only available since the latests po4a versions:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/po4a/po4a_0.38-1/changelog#versionversion0.37.0-1

Ok, I'll see for working without atm.

Thanks && Greetings

            Helge