Re: Best practices for i18n manpages with po4a?

Hello Helge,

Sorry for the quite late answer, and best wishes for the new year.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:40:34PM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> for the packages I maintain I use po4a to translate the man pages
> (which works really nice, btw.). Up to now, the number of languages I
> had translations for was rather low, so I simply added the required
> commands in debian/rules. Now I receive more and more translations
> (thanks to all involved) which each require a two lines along
>         cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-updatepo -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po
>         cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-translate -k 20 -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po -a asclock.xx.add -l asclock.xx.man

IMO, the first step would be using a po4a.conf, in which you can use
$lang and substitute it with the languages defined in po4a_langs.

You can find more details in the po4a man, or good examples in apt,
manpages-fr.

Other examples :
grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends po4a -s Package /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Sources

--
Simon Paillard