Reviewing openswan debconf templates...

(copy to -l10n-english and -i18n so that other people wanting to
explain maintainers how to get their texts reviewed can benefit from
that mail)

Quoting Harald Jenny (harald@a-little-linux-box.at):
> Hello Christian Perrier,
>
> I've been talking with Rene Mayrhofer and he agreed with you about the mentioned issues - as he is busy and I'm new to package management could you please give me some advice?

I suggest you send a "Request for review" of the debconf templates for
openswan in debian-l10n-english. Just do it by sending a mail to the
list and attach the debian/*templates file(s).

Eventually, you can also use this opportunity to geet debian/control
reviewed (for package(s) descriptions).

A discussion should be triggerred with a a few of us making
suggestions as patches against the file(s). You can look into the
archives to see how this happens ("request for review" mails are
labeled "[RFR] templates://<package>/foo.templates" most of the time).

Let the discussion stabilize for a few days, eventually participate in
it (don't forget asking to be CC'ed as you're probably not subscribed
to the list). Then you can post a summary (which we often call a "last
chance for comments" mail: "[LCFC]") so that late comments can still
flow in.

Once done, you can move to the "update translations" step.

Apply the changed templates to your tree, run debconf-updatepo.

Then use the following command to automagically send call for
translation updates(for existing translations) and a call for new
translations (to debian-i18n):

From the package tree:

podebconf-report-po --call --languageteam

Your usual $EDITOR will be popped with a standard text that you can
customize as you like. First the text that is sent to translators and
translation teams for existing translations, then the text that gets
sent to debian-i18n.

Then waiting for being spammed with bug reports for most existing
translations.

As openswan templates are quite big, you need to give translators a
reasonable amount of time to do their job (some teams have a
formalized review process). Two weeks is considered reasonable in such
case.

As PO files come flowing in throught the BTS, apply them to your tree.

If you want to be very careful, you can check them for errors:

cd debian/po
<here copy foo.po which you get from the BTS>
msgmerge -U foo.po templates.pot
msgfmt -o /dev/null --statistics foo.po

The latter should not trigger any error...and if the translator did
really complete the file, it should show "NN translated strings"