Re: Debian menu entry translations for squeeze

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 06:45:44AM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr):
>
> > I have made the package, I at least one translation before uploading it.
> > The skeleton is available at
> > svn://svn.debian.org/svn/menu/trunk/menu-l10n
>
> How many strings does it contain?

You mean the POT file ? about 4154 msgid strings, 2491 of them do not
contains spaces. Maybe a l10n expert could review the POT file and provide
some guidance how to reduce it size.

> > Now the only question is whether you are willing to translate that.
>
> As I already mentioned in the past, that's probably one of the major
> questions. Nowadays, the Debian menu is somehow conflicting with the
> FreeDesktop menu system used in major desktop environments. Of course,
> I know it does not really *conflict* but, when present, it appears as
> an extra menu, which may be confusing.

I would say that Debian menu is complementary to the FreeDesktop menu.
The FreeDesktop menu is limited to desktop applications, while the Debian
menu contains much more entries, so it is useful to have both:
a quick access to desktop applications and an exhaustive list of applications.

> I know about arguments to keep the Debian menu alive (IIRC, mostly
> because the FreeDesktop menu does not exist for all window managers),
> but that leaves the question opened about work priority. Translating
> the Debian menu will be a big work and the direct benefit in
> environments used by real end users is questionable.

popcon report 50000 installations for menu and only 32000 for gnome-core.
But anyway, I do not believe in abstraction like "real end users". I maintain
menu because I use it, my family use it, and my friends use it.

> OTOH, and unless I'm mistaken, the Debian menu entries (debian/*.menu) and
> FreeDesktop menu entries (debian/*.desktop) often share their
> strings. So, having one translated is probably helping to have the
> other one translated.

This is an option, yes. I can try to come up with some scripts, but that will
not work for the most interesting entries, i.e. the one that are not in
the FreeDesktop menu and there going to be minor discrepancies (mainly
lowercase vs uppercase title).

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>