Re: isdnutils 1:3.9.20060704-5: Please translate debconf PO for the package isdnutils

Quoting Martin Bagge (brother@bsnet.se):
> >>#. Type: select
> >>#. Choices
> >>#. Type: select
> >>#. DefaultChoice
> >>#. Translators:
> >>#. Please choose among
> >>#. "Austria, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Spain,
> >>Switzerland, other"
> >>#: ../isdnlog.templates:2001 ../isdnlog.templates:2002
> >>msgid "other"
> >>msgstr ""
> >
> >This entry is correct. Translators are supposed to put their country
> >there....if it is in the proposed list. Otherwise, they need to choose
> >"other". So, the Finnish translator will choose "other" while the
> >German will choose "Germany" (and *not* "Deutschland").
> >
> >That could deserve a little bit more explanation in the comment, I
> >admit.
>
> To clarify this before I send my translation.
>
> Debconf will display:
> [...]
> Nederländerna
> Norge
> Spanien
> Schweiz
> other
>
> (same in english: Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, other)
>
> I can not translate other to "annat" in Swedish?

You can translate "other" to "annat" in the string where it appears
alone, juste like you can translate "Nettherlands", etc.

*However* in the following:

#. Type: select
#. Choices
#. Type: select
#. DefaultChoice
#. Translators:
#. Please choose among
#. "Austria, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Spain,
Switzerland, other"
#: ../isdnlog.templates:2001 ../isdnlog.templates:2002
msgid "other"
msgstr ""

You must put "other" in "msgstr"...

Thinkink deeper, I think that will bring us to a problem, still:
duplicate msgid's ("other" appears twice)....which gettext doesn't like

To solve this, the second "other" should use the "brackets trick"
documented in po-debconf(7) (with an eample taken from the geneweb package)

That means changing the templates and, unfortunately, re-issue a call
for translations (Third time....some packages have a kind of
malediction)

Sorry for the trouble, these things are fairly hard to explain...:)