Re: gettext incompatible with automake's distcheck target?

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:17:01AM +0200, Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:
> 2009/9/23 Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net>
> > I really cannot believe that I'm the first user of automake/gettext who
> > noticed this. How to solve it?
>
> Just out of curiosity (because these are two simple questions), have you
> tried to do:
>
> cd path_to_myProject
> chmod -R +w
>
> And have you checked if you are the owner of all files/dirs in this project?

Yep, this is not the problem.

Now I know what happened: I had the line AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11) in my
configure.ac and used autopoint to copy all gettext related stuff (m4 files,
po/Makefile.in.in, ...) into my project. autopoint uses internally a CVS
repository (that's why the spurious cvs dependency) which contains various
gettext versions. Once it sees my minimal supported version 0.11 (which was
just a guess from me as I assumed the installed version will be used) it
tries to use it and creates po/Makefile.in.in from gettext 0.11. But this is
buggy (as well as many other versions of gettext).

Just try the helloworld.tgz from
extract it into a temporary directory and change 0.10 to 0.11 in
configure.ac. Now call

./autogen.sh
mkdir build
cd build
../configure
make distcheck

to verify the problem.
(Since this is a problem with an old version I do not open a bug report.)

My versions:
 automake: 1.11
 autoconf: 2.64
 gettext: 0.17

The funny stuff is that every version of gettext behaves different. So I
probably have to test my package with all recent versions (but want to keep
support for 0.12.1) ...

Jens