Re: drivel 3.0.0-1: Please translate the package drivel

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:02:58 +0200
Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> Quoting Neil Williams (codehelp@debian.org):
>
> > These translators will be contacted separately. However, a lot of the
> > those translators are no longer active, so I'm happy for anyone to take
>
> Have you?
>
> I see nothing in debian-l10n-french, so either the list was not listed
> in "Language-Team", or you used podebconf-report-po without
> "--languageteam"....or the mail hasn't reached the list yet....or did
> fall in my spam trap and I didn't notice..:-)

Drivel has a complicated history and has a lot of GNOME-ness embedded
in various layers, especially translations where translators were given
direct commit access to svn.gnome.org - this became problematic when
drivel had to move to svn.sourceforge.net :-)

Until 3.0.0 is released, there are still two active branches in drivel
as well, with subtly different translation strings. 3.0.0 brings those
together, which is why some translations for 2.0.4 have not been
carried forward into 3.0.0 because an existing translation from the
other branch (2.1.1) was more complete. It's quite a mess. 2.1.1 was
left behind because it was still using deprecated GTK code and libgnome
etc. drivel 3.0.0 is GTK+3 ready, hence the major version bump - I've
made a lot of changes to get from 2.0.4 through 2.1.1 to 3.0.0.

For fr.po:

"Last-Translator: Claude Paroz <claude@2xlibre.net>\n"
"Language-Team: GNOME French Team <gnomefr@traduc.org>\n"

--languageteam (IIRC) is the default? Presumably it uses the value from
the PO file if one exists?

I can certainly resend fr.po to the debian french language team (and
to any/all other debian language teams) if that would be preferable.

Does --languageteam override the PO or is there some other way to
change the language team without editing 32 files?

fr.po has 218 translated messages, 21 fuzzy translations, 10
untranslated messages, so it is likely that I could get an updated
fr.po from the last translator.

"PO-Revision-Date: 2007-03-23 14:11+0100\n"

Hmmm, maybe not.

What to do in such a situation?

> BTW: great to see you back on duty, Neil.

I'm around but not doing as much as before. Sometimes doing upstream
work is more rewarding than Debian work. I'm not subscribed here, so
please CC: me. Thanks.

--

Neil Williams