Re: Plans for dropping levels 3 to 5 of "Debian Installer translations"

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):

> > win32-loader:
> >       The trickiest. It is developed inside D-I SVN and is used on
> >       Debian CD and DVDs IIRC. So, one can see it as "part of D-I"
> >       in some way. However, translating it is not enough and
> >       activating a language there also requires another software
> >       (NSIS) to be translated in that language plus Windows
> >       supporting the said language.
> >       Could *maybe* be moved to level 2...or kept in a small level 3
>
> As this is included in D-I SVN *and* is included on CD images it should
> IMHO definitely be kept. As strings are not displayed as part of an
> installation itself it would also be better not to have it in level 2, so
> a level 3 seems indicated.

Ack. I think we're anyway going towards a level 3, so let's keep
win32-loader there.

> > debconf:
> >       We have the debconf programs translations. Clearly unused in D-I
> >
> >       We also have the debconf screens used when doing
> >       "dpkg-reconfigure debconf" and also debconf-apt-progress/*
> >       templates strings ("Installing packages"....). These may appear
> >       during D-I...so that may motivate moving this in the small
> >       level 3 I'm talking about earlier
> > dpkg:
> >       IIRC, used to have very rare strings pop up during packages
> >       installs in 2nd stage. No longer needed and huge translation.
> >       So, this is an important program, sure...but nothing to do with
> >       D-I.
> > apt:
> >       Is still maybe providing a few strings that pop up during
> >       installs in progress bars. TO be checked but I'm really unsure
> >       it warrants having that huge translation labeled as "part of
> >       D-I"
>
> I also forget where the package installation strings come from. But IMO
> these definitely fall under the main rule I formulated: if we use strings
> from either package, we should include it in the stats.
>
> One option could be to work with the package maintainers and split the
> huge PO files of these packages into smaller logic units and include only
> those units relevant for D-I.

As debconf is not big, I think we can safely keep it in level 3 (only
its debconf templates, though).

For dpkg, I'm fairly sure it has nothing now. The main rationale was
translating what was displayed during 2nd stage, when the big bunch of
packages was installed, after tasksel.

For apt....the main problem I see is.....its currently quite loose
maintenance now that Eugene moved to something else (which is sad,
imho).

I think that a few strings might be those from libapt but that needs
more investigation (mostly watching what's displayed during packages
installation and search for those strings)

> > - console-data: soon obsoleted by the move to console-setup, which
> >   is very likely to happen. So we'll need to mov eit out of level 2
>
> I still have some serious doubts about this whole change. I would not drop
> console-data too soon.

Well, that can be anyway decorrelated from the levels regorganisation
as this is abou tlevel 2 which will be kept anyway.

> > - xkeyboard-config: its strings are used by console-setup. However,
> >   that localization is not maintained inside Debian and will not be.
> >   So, here, our only possibility is to list it in one of our
> >   levels and then point translators to the place where translation
> >   happens for it (the TP).
>
> Yes, should definitely be added once things settle down.

Ideally, it should be in level 2 as its strings (at least *some* of
them) will be displayed in nearly all installs (the only exception
being languages for which there is only one possible keymap choice).