Re: languages lists

On 1 May 2009, at 10:42, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:

[Please CC me, I am not subscribed to the list]

Hello,

I have written a Macro for our wiki, to automatically format and display the contributors' profiles ( http://wiki-debian-net.local/User/ JohnDoe )

I would like to Internationalize it, So I assume I should get the user
to type it's language code (en, pt, pt_BR, zh_CN ...) rather than full
text, so gettext has consistent inputs using. typically using:
gettext(get_language_name(lang_code))
BTW: what do you think about it? should I prompt for locale or iso636?

Do you know a package which provides a locales->language name table?
(the package iso-codes has such list, but only in it's source package
notes/language-in-locales.txt)
sample:
      ar_YE:language   "Arabic"
      az_AZ:language "Azeri"
      be_BY:language   "Belarusian"
      bg_BG:language   "Bulgarian"
      bn_IN:language    "Bengali"
      br_FR:language "Breton"

iso-codes provides the list in /usr/share/xml/iso_639.xml
This can then be localized using the "iso-codes" domain in gettext.

If you don't like XML, you can use the "isoquery" utility in the isoquery package, which provides them
in a tab-delimited list for convenient scripting:
alastair@ailm:~$ isoquery --name --iso=639 | more
aar     aar     aa      Afar
abk     abk     ab      Abkhazian
ace     ace             Achinese
ach     ach             Acoli
ada     ada             Adangme
ady     ady             Adyghe; Adygei
afa     afa             Afro-Asiatic (Other)
afh     afh             Afrihili
afr     afr     af      Afrikaans
ain     ain             Ainu
aka     aka     ak      Akan