Re: How to update a translation package description for lenny?

2009/3/16 Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/1 Yuri Kozlov <yuray@komyakino.ru>:
>> How? I not seen in the DDTP/DDTSS mechanism descriptions posibility
>> selection of the suite.
>>
>> I think the updated translations for sid descriptions must be backported
>> in the lenny/etch/... automatically (at least for packages.debian.org).
>> I dont want to make a double/treble work.
>
> Note that translations in DDTP are not tied to any release, they are
> tied to the exact text. So if lenny and squeeze have the same package
> description any update to the translation for a package will change
> the translation in both releases.
>
> In general the DDTP offers to let you translate packages from the
> latest release only but you can update older descriptions also. The
> problem you're most likely to run into is that while the DDTP can have
> a newer translation, the files on the mirrors are not updated. I'm not
> sure what the policy is there (or even if there is one).

I have also found some really messed up translations (of the few there
are, many are broken and don't use diacritics). I don't see any good
reason why the descriptions' translations shouldn't be updated, even
if we're talking about lenny.

Does anyone know if this is a technical limitation or is simply an
inertial move which copies the Debian stable policy?
Do we need to get the SRMs' approval to do this?

--
Regards,
EddyP