Re: keyboard locales horribly broken?

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 15:50:51 Wookey wrote:

I did a fresh install of mepis 8.0 rc2 (it's almost lenny) -- see mepis.org.
i chose ru_RU.UTF-8 locale during install.

keyboard switching done via /etc/X11/xorg.conf works as expected.
furthermore, i did set up alternative keyboard configuration using xkbcomp
(to get non-standard symbols like «» handy).

I added '/usr/bin/xkbcomp /home/xx/ru_ua_xkb_config $DISPLAY' to autorun.
(by adding .desktop file to ~/.kde4/Autostart)

i can send you ru_ua_xkb_config contents if you're interested.

I also configured KDE4 keyboard switcher into 'indicator only' mode.

If you're setuping machines for translators, then I would really recommend you installing KDE4
as it provides Lokalize the computer-aided translation system.