Re: Release announcement simplified Chinese translation update

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 01:08:42AM +0800, Deng Xiyue wrote:
> I don't know that translation of release announcement are put on web
> using local locale instead of UTF-8.  I have checked the simplified
> Chinese page[1], which is encoded in GB2312.  Maybe that is required by

That's just the HTML output.

> policy.  I don't know which is the preferred way to store this in SVN
> repository, so now I'm attaching both the UTF-8 version as
> well as the GB2312 version for reference.  These 2 versions can be
> converted to each other by "iconv" utility.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090214.zh-cn.html
>
> Also, the filled paragraph as done in my last update produces poor
> appearance with unnecessary space on line break, so I have rejoined all
> the lines in this version.

The Chinese source code is shared between zh_CN and zh_TW. See e.g.

http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/chinese/Chinese.README?view=markup

The document social_contract.wml contains e.g. conditionals:
我們將[CN:盡最大努力:][HKTW:力盡所能:]. It looks to me as the text is
encoded in Big5 and I failed to convert your UTF-8 text into Big5.

Sorry, I don't know what to do. What's the current status of [1]? Is it
completely wrong or only very minor parts? I looks OK for me :-))

Jens