Re: Call for translations: Release announcement

Hi!

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl schrieb:

> Attached you'll find the final draft for the release announcement for
> lenny. There are no changes in the content planed any more, only
> corrections for spelling, grammar and maybe style, so that's the perfect
> moment to start translating the announcement.

Attached are the relevant changes from the last version I mailed to this
list.  As promised there are only slight changes.

So far I got /know of the following translations:

bg
da
de
en
es
fi
fr
it
sk
sv
zh_CN

If you send me something and it's not yet listed here, please contact me
again; maybe your mail has been eaten by some filter (even if I tried
very hard to prevent that from happening; sorry in advance).

I got asked for a tool to create the text version from the wml file, but
sadly there is "real" one, but you might check out the website from cvs,
add your translation to webml/$YOUR_LANGUAGE/News/2009/ change into that
directory, call "make" (when you have the package wml installed) and run
something like "lynx --dump xxx.xx.html" and work with that.  It might
be easier to do the transfer with a text editor, though...

An other questions I got was, what can be done, if there is neither a
localised debian-news nor a localised debian-user mailing list for your
language.  Well, of course your translation will be added to our
website, so translating is not a lost afford.  If you like you may also
distribute our press release to the mailing lists of your local user
groups (if you find it proper) or to some (technical) local news
services (e.g. there's a German News site "pro-linux.de" who prefer to
get translated texts; maybe there's something similar in your language?).

Best regards,
  Alexander

PS:  You may also track the changes to the English version by invoking
svn diff -r 91:HEAD
http://svn.schmehl.info/svn/debian-publicity/20090214-lenny-release/lenny-announcement.en.wml

PPS: The attached patch is probably not a "clean" patch, e.g. it might
not apply cleanly, but I hope it's good enough to track the relevant
changes non the less.
18c18
< +S/390 (s390), and AMD64 and Intel EM64T (amd64).</p>
---
> S/390 (s390), and AMD64 and Intel EM64T (amd64).</p>
20,23c20,25
< <p>This includes support for Marvell's Orion platform, and for
< devices based on the Orion platform, such as the QNAP Turbo Station,
< HP mv2120, and Buffalo Kurobox Pro as well as Netbooks, such as the EEE PC
< by Asus. Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 <q>Lenny</q> also contains the build tools for Emdebian which
---
> Marvell's Orion platform which is used in many storage devices.
> Supported storage devices include the QNAP Turbo Station series,
> HP Media Vault mv2120, and Buffalo Kurobox Pro.  Additionally,
> <q>lenny</q> now supports several Netbooks, in particular the EEE PC by Asus.
> <q>lenny</q> also contains the build tools for Emdebian which
34,36c36,38
< 2.4.7, Iceweasel (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6), Icedove
< (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19),
< PostgreSQL 8.3.5, MySQL
---
> 2.4.7, Iceweasel 3.0.6 (an unbranded version of Mozilla Firefox), Icedove 2.0.0.19
> (an unbranded version of Mozilla Thunderbird),
> PostgreSQL 8.3.6, MySQL
55,57c56,58
< <p>The inclusion of OpenJDK, a free version of Sun's Java technology,
< into Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 makes it possible to ship Java based
< applications in Debian's "main" repository.</p>
---
> into Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 allow us to ship Java based
73,75c74,76
< default desktop environment and is contained on the first CD.  The K
< Desktop Environment (KDE), the Xfce or the LXDE desktop can be installed
< through two new alternative CD images.  Again available with Debian
---
> default desktop environment and is contained on the first CD. Other
> desktop environments - KDE, Xfce, or LXDE - can be installed
> through two new alternative CD images. Again available with Debian
77,79c78,80
< multiple architectures from a single disc as well as Blu-ray Discs
< allowing the archive for an entire architecture to be shipped on a single
< installation medium.</p>
---
> multiple architectures from a single disc; and this release adds
> Blu-ray Discs, allowing the archive for an entire architecture to be
> shipped on a single BD.</p>
91c92
< removable media and installations via braille display are supported
---
> removable media, and installations via Braille display are supported.
128,130c129,131
< <p>Thiemo's work, dedication, broad technical knowledge and ability to
< share this with others will be missed. The contributions of Thiemo will
< not be forgotten.  The high standards of Thiemos work make it hard to
---