Re: Polish l10n of PO files

Quoting Łukasz Paździora (lukpaz@gmail.com):
> Hi.
> Recently I was looking through Debian web pages and I've found this
> weird thing in page:
> http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/index.en.html
> There are two Polish languages in translations
> # pl (Polish)
> # pl_PL (Polish, as spoken in Poland)
> but we have only one.

This is automatic. As soon as at least *one* package provides a pl_PL
files, it will be listed there.

> We discussed it on on the <debian-l10n-polish@lists.debian.org> and
> agreed that it should be only one language. Because right now its a
> little confusing.
> It should be same as in Debconf templates files
> http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po-debconf/ where only 'pl'
> exists.
> And there is a question: can the translations from pl_PL can be moved
> automatically to the 'pl' page/section or every translator has to move
> his translation individually?

You need to find the offending package and report a bug against
it/them, asking for pl_PL.po file(s) to be renamed to pl.po

However, most often, such files comes from upstream developers and
"our" package maintainers in Debian may have hard times convincing
them that such renaming should happen.

For Polish where only onel locale exists, you can suceed in this but
it's even harder for languages that are sponken in multiple countries
because there exist people who honestly think that translations of
software should|could be different for "French as spoken in France"
and "French as spoken in Belgium", for example....which is anything
but stupid.

If you ant to go this way, then you need to report bugs against:

filezilla
squirrelmail-locales
.../...
imp4
turba2
ingo1
.../...

(taken from http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/pl_PL)

Indeed, that's an impossible task, more or less. Just looking at
http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/ shows that we have a giant mess in
that matter. I've dropped any idea to do that work for French since
ages.