Re: [faw@funlabs.org: Re: DDTP-Links on CDD tasks web pages]

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>> I can only guess that you
>> really missed the point of my effort to HELP translating package
>> descriptions.  Is it so hard to understand that people involved in a
>> certain topic are potentially good translators?  Is your team really
>> that strong that you can refuse the help of these people?  The
>> numbers of translated descriptions are not impressive enouth
>> to draw this conclusion.
>
> 	First of all, I don't think you really understand the
> Brazilian scenario to draw any conclusions, pt_BR is a very
> active team regarding DDTP (and has been for quite some time),
> and yes, "packages of special interest for some CDD tasks"
> really gave us twice as much work when the "first script"
> start crawling the DDTSS and we had to block Alioth because
> of it.
>
> 	As Helge pointed out, deeply knowing a subject doesn't
> mean that someone are good translators, in fact, the two
> things are orthogonal, we had find good replies and reviews
> from "interdisciplinary" mailing lists.
[...]
[I'm not very fluent in English /expression/, sorry for that]

To read you, and by experience, what I guess is that translate an
isolated raw without context knowledge is useless, as well
as changing a fuzzy one in the same way can break other things.

So, I think a good approach will be to add to the pages a few
information about the context, how to contact the relevant
translation team for discuss about that, and what proposition
of translation you want to add.

Ideally, this /proposition/ will be forwarded to the relevant
ML, with a machine parseable/human readable title (the
only thing we may considere stable in an ML :), then, after
discussion, team coordinator's could sign the result, then
send it back to a server.

--
Thomas Harding.
La phobie de la connaissance est spécifique à l'informatique.