Re: Questions about DDTP

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:44:24PM +0200, Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
> Given recent changes in apt I have several questions.
>
> 1. How to change description for a given package? I can only find
> command for getting random untranslated description.

I don't know how to refetch the current description from Sid via mail
interface. But you may download the current translation from
http://ddtp.debian.net/ and resend it to pdesc@ddtp.debian.net.
I tried it the last days again (and fixed (still manually) many
wrong encodings) and it works well via email interface.

> 2. How to remove all "translations"? All that I saw so far are
> unuseable (uk).

Don't use package translations or correct bogus translations.

> 3. What encoding should be used for translations (I hope the answer is
> UTF-8)? Does apt handle encoding conversion? What I see now is
> translations in different encodings and garbage in apt-get output.

It's language dependent in the email interface. German uses latin1.
But you can request the files in any encoding and also send it in UTF-8
(by appending .UTF-8 to "Description" (see
http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/ddtp)).

> 4. How to know who "translated" those descriptions in Ukrainian?

I doubt that this is recorded.

Jens