Re: win32-loader

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:20:31PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> To: Robert Millan (win32-loader), Deb18n

> >>It was an initial translation. Please see the queries Christian
> >>Perrier has forwarded from me to you.
> >
> >Uhm I didn't receive anything from Christian.
>
> To Robert:
>
> Are you getting this? It is also sent both to you and to the list.

Yep, I got both.  Note that although I'm subscribed to -i18n, I don't regularly
read it, so you did well to put me on CC ;-)

> For other translators considering translating win32-loader, Robert said:
> >

> >If you want win32-loader to support Vietnamese, you'll have to get
> >it supported
> >in NSIS first, whatever their requirements are.  I'm sorry, but
> >there really
> >is no other way.

Yes, I'm afraid this is so.  Note that with some effort, it would be technicaly
possible to build win32-loader in a way that stock English strings from NSIS
are used in combination with your translation.  I'm not exactly against that
if you want to work on it, but I would really recommend that you just translate
NSIS instead.

> I didn't know that, and in any case, I didn't know if NSIS had been
> translated into my language or not. Apparently not, so my effort in
> translating win32-loader was wasted.

Not at all!  Your translation is in svn now.  All that's left is enabling it,
which can be done as soon as NSIS is translated.

> My team has made previous efforts at communicating with the NSIS
> project, and got absolutely nowhere, so I'm not really interested in
> doing more of that. (Several attempts over _years_ to discuss the
> UTF-8 support issue, never got even one response.)

Is UTF-8 mandatory?  For strings used by win32-loader itself, windows-1258
seems to be capable of representing all characters.  Is this the native charset
for Vietnamese on win32 ?  Are there any limitations we should know about?

I'm sure we can find a solution to this, and I would be very glad to have
Vietnamese in win32-loader language list.

Thanks!

--
Robert Millan

(as seen on /.)