Temporarily mapping non-ascii->ascii characters in gettext

Hello,
recently a new game in debian[1] was i18n and in the process of
providing German translations I noticed that "8bit characters" (like
umlauts) where not displayed, independently of the po file beeing
encoded in latin1 or utf-8. This was later confirmed[2] and the
maintainer asked if it was "possible for the moment to do
something like [map non-ascii-chars to ascii transliteration] and try
to improve that in the future".

While I can of course globally replace ü by ue, ä by ae and so on,
this is not cleanly reversible, i.e. once [2] is fixed, all strings
would have to be checked.

Is there some way to do a sane conversion (at build time!)? I had a
look at recode latin1..ascii, but this gives me "u instead of ue for ü
(while ß -> ss is done properly). Using "u is problematic, as " also
terminates strings in gettext and is not the commonly used
transliteration.

Any ideas appreciated!

Greetings

                  Helge