Re: [RFC] Internationalization release goals for Lenny

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 10:21:16AM +0200, Nicolas François wrote:
> We should prepare for the RM a set of I18N release goals for Lenny.

yes.

> Grisu already sent a mail regarding translation of description to the
> debian-release mailing list, but there are probably other goals.
>
> Here are some ideas:
>  * DDTP
>    + Support for translated description in the package managers.
>      (Are there package tools which are missing this support now?)

I think we have the basic support. But maybe we need some nice
feature in some frontends (like to select the searching lang, etc.),
to config the language in d-i, apt-setup, ...

>    + Translation material available on the mirrors
>      (IIRC, this is available on most mirrors for sid, but not for lenny)

yes, but the sid files on ftp-master ist 12 month old...

In the result we have to do and coordinate some tasks.

>  * New channel for distribution of translated material (tdeb, language
>    packs or others)

I don't think this is a good lenny goal, maybe a lenny+1 goal.

But we should start to diskuss this on debconf. This is not only a
i18n task. We can improve the system/fix some problems in our package
system with some changes.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -   http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
"er hatte angekündigt, das er nicht in JF-Sachen zum TM2 kommen mag"