Re: debconf PO translations for the package exim4

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 08:52:11AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:26:10PM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
>
> > Also on a more general issue, the capitalization of the word "exim"
> > seems to be very inconsistent in the template (there is improvement from
> > the last version, but still not good enough IMHO).  Basically there are
> > three words/phrases: "exim", "exim4", and "exim 3".  Is there a
> > consensus on how to capitalize them?  I can work on a patch if the rule
> > is decided.
>
> I think that there used to be a rule for capitalization given by
> upstream, but I did not find that in the docs when I looked.
>
> I _think_ that Exim generally refers to the software package and the
> system, while exim means the binary.
>
> In Debian, we had to extend that rule, so that the lower case name
> also refers to the package itself since Debian package names are lower
> case.
>
> Additionally, "exim" means the exim 3 packages, with "exim 3" having
> the version number emphasized. The 3 is separated from the name in
> "exim 3" to make clear that the exim 3 packages do not have the
> version number in the package name, contrary to "exim4", where the 4
> is part of the package name.
>
> Is everything clear now?

Yes, very clear and makes perfect sense.  I read the templates again
with this knowledge and things look much more consistent now.  Thanks
for the explanation.

(For those who are interested, I asked this question because Chinese
doesn't have capitalization.  So I really need to understand the meaning
of the capitalization in English in order to properly translate.)

Ming
2007.06.07